So many of us set resolutions on January 1 and, sadly, give them up before the end of the month. Our expectations do not turn into reality. There is an art to setting achievable and relevant goals. Why not make it easy? Let's look at the 6 simple steps to reach your goals!
First, before we dive right in, ask yourself...
- Do I set goals?
- Do I reach them?
- Do I set New Year's Resolutions?
- Do I achieve them?
- If not, why not?
Resolutions vs. Goals
To be successful, we need to understand the difference in a resolution and a goal.
So, let's look at the difference in a resolution and a goal. A resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something. A goal is an aim or desired result, the object of a person's ambition or effort. So, a resolution is a decision, and a goal gets us to an outcome and requires effort.
Your new year's resolution expresses your decision to change or improve. Your goal leads to an outcome of change and takes work.
Expectations vs. Reality
I quit setting resolutions years ago. Maybe I expected too much of myself, and the resolution was too hard to reach. I knew what I wanted to change, but I didn’t put in the effort and forgot about the resolution. Have you been there?
Dreams and Goals
This year instead of setting resolutions, I am setting New Year’s Dreams and Goals.
My mindset is different. Instead of feeling guilty for giving up on what I want to achieve/change, I am excited to set realistic and meaningful goals that lead me to a positive outcome!
“A goal properly set is halfway reached.” ~ Zig Ziglar
I admit it; until this year, I have not been a good "goal-getter." There is a learning curve to setting smart goals and devising a doable plan to reach them.
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” ~ Pablo Picasso
Retirees Need to Set Goals
Being retired offers a lot of time to reflect and decide what can be accomplished in the time that is left. Therefore, I have realized that to use my time wisely and make a difference, I must choose my goals wisely and act on them.
“Life is short, fragile and does not wait for anyone. There will NEVER be a perfect time to pursue your dreams and goals. ” ~ Unknown
As a result, reevaluating my core values, choosing goals to improve my inward self (character, faith, showing love to others, etc.), and having a plan to reach them is vital.
In a previous blog post, How To Enjoy A More Productive Retirement, I share how to continue to live with passion, purpose, and promise. Click HERE to read more!
Aging With Passion shares tips on how to keep our passion for life, especially after retirement. Click HERE to read the article!
Where Do You Start?
Have you heard the phrase, “Start with the end in mind?” Follow these six steps for setting achievable goals.
6 Simple Steps to Reach Your Goals
- Capture your vision. Close your eyes and imagine how you will feel and what will change when you meet your goal. How will you feel when you complete a task that gets you closer to your result? What will life look like while working on your goal?
- Set your intention. Why is it essential to meet your goal? How will life improve for you and those around you when experiencing success?
- Plan your roadmap. What do you need to do mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually to meet your goal? What resources will you need (money, time, other people, learning information, etc.)
- Set SMART goals. Are they specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-based?
- Take action. Take baby steps. What little things can you do each day to get closer to your goal? Keep your steps simple and practical. Track your progress.
- Reward yourself when you succeed. Treat yourself to something special such as a movie, a day of leisure, a new book, lunch out with friends...anything you enjoy that makes you happy! Expect setbacks; they are sure to happen. Don’t beat yourself up when a deadline comes and goes. Evaluate what you need to do differently. Do your steps need to be easier to reach? Would being more organized help? Would encouragement make it easier? Do you need an accountability partner?
Where to Find Help
Do you need a system for creating and tracking your goals and action steps?
Do you need more help with envisioning your dreams and goals?
Do you know the secrets of setting SMART GOALS?
This FREE 5-Day Goal Setting Challenge Is For You!
If you want (or need) to be your BEST SELF and give legs to your dreams, join the FREE 5-day Goal Setting Challenge. Learn how to define, create, and successfully meet your goals for 2020! This mini-course includes downloadable worksheets and a printable Goal Setting Planner.
Don’t waste this opportunity to turn your expectations into reality.
Make a difference in 2020!
Just CLICK on the button below!